Why do I need a Personal injury lawyer?
Unfortunately, accidents are a common occurrence these days, and people have accidents in workplaces, streets, roads, etc., and it may result in personal injury without their fault. If you are one of those people, you will need a personal injury lawyer to help you get compensation for the hurt and injury you’ve suffered. Getting compensation is not always an easy task, and you will need an expert personal injury lawyer to help you win it.
In the State of Florida, there are many personal injury lawyers. But choosing the best among them gets daunting, especially if you have never been in a situation like this before. We have put together some helpful information that can give you a general idea of what to expect from your meeting with a personal injury lawyer and how to choose one.
What types of cases do personal injury lawyers handle?
Personal injury is related to the law of torts which deals with the negligent harmful acts of one person which result in the injury of one or more people. Intention to cause harm is irrelevant here. Personal injury is a result of neglecting due care that a person is legally obliged to perform while carrying out certain actions. An injury lawyer handles such cases where you have suffered a personal injury because of the failure of a person to perform due care. For example;
- A driver on the road has a duty to stop at a red light when there are pedestrians in the crosswalk or to maintain the speed protocols while driving.
- Similarly, an employer is required to observe mandatory safety measures to save the employees from workplace injury.
- Construction companies have a duty to make the construction zone injury-free for the general public during and after the work is done at the site.
- Medical procedures performed without due care and malpractice.
- Product or service that caused damage to the body or mental health of a person.
- Animal attacks/ accidents caused by or because of pets.
- Slip and fall accidents.
- Mental torture and psychological bullying. The harm that can impair a person or cause death.
These are some of the examples of cases an injury attorney deals with. These are all civil offenses — rarely the defendant goes to jail. The defendant is usually fined and pays compensation for the personal injury caused due to his negligence. The main goal is to help you get monetary compensation for the plaintiff who was injured because of the acts and omissions of the defendant. A personal injury lawyer can help you get that compensation. While awarding damages to the plaintiff, the court considers many factors i.e., mental, physical, and financial impacts of the injury on the plaintiff.
Recommendations on how to find a personal injury lawyer
Finding a good personal injury lawyer can be daunting because there are many personal injury lawyers, and each claim to be an expert in their field. So how t do you find the right choice for your case? The best approach is to ask someone experienced with such a situation. Ask around your family members, people you know, colleagues, classmates, relatives, etc., for recommendations. Explore your social network to see if someone in your social group has suffered a similar situation, and ask them all the information they have on how to deal with it. That said, here are some helpful recommendations for finding the right personal injury lawyer.
1. Visit the local Bar Association:
Every State has a Bar Association where you can find lawyers from all fields of law. Visiting your local Bar Association can help you figure out how many personal injury lawyers are working in your locality, and you can get a face-to-face conversation with them.
2. Use the internet and newspapers:
If, however, you’re not comfortable or unable to visit the Bar Association, you can use the internet or local newspapers to search for personal injury attorneys. Many law firms are operating on the internet now, and it’s easier to find a personal injury lawyer online than doing a manual search.
3. Always start with an initial consultation:
Once you have narrowed down the injury attorneys who meet your criteria, call them to ask for an in-person consultation. Prepare a list of useful questions before meeting them to get the most from the conversation. This will help you in the final decision regarding which injury lawyer meets your needs the most and hire them. Questions can be related to the following;
- Which law school they went to, educational background and qualifications?
- How many years of experience do they have in personal injury cases?
- Which subcategory of personal injury cases is their specialty?
- What are their fees i.e., fixed price or hourly based?
- What can they tell you about the compensation amount and how much of it they feel confident they can help you win?
- What is their availability in the future if you hire them?
- What can they tell you about financial aid if you’re not in the financial situation to pay legal fees?
- What is their success rate in previous cases?
- Are they willing to go to trial if an out-of-court settlement between the defendant and plaintiff fails?
- Any other questions that may seem relevant to your case?
Experienced personal injury attorneys in Flordia who have an excellent success rate of winning compensation are hard to find, and it is not impossible. The calculation of compensation — how much money you are going to claim are serious questions that can only be answered better by a personal injury lawyer. A personal injury attorney knows which factors to couple with the compensation claim to make it a strong case. Such factors can be mental agony, distress, financial loss, loss of wages, future implications of injury on a person, etc. A good personal injury lawyer will tell you which factors suits your case the most. For this reason, an initial consultation is necessary.