The Pentagon reported today that a Russian jet collided with the propeller of a U.S. Reaper drone over the Black Sea, forcing U.S. forces to bring down the drone.
U.S. European Command and U.S. Air Forces in Europe – Air Forces Africa (USAFE-AFAFRICA) issued a statement on the incident in which they reported the events leading up to the collision and admonished the Russian military for “a pattern of dangerous actions” in international airspace.
This collision comes as US-Russia diplomatic relations have been on edge, due especially to the ongoing war in Ukraine.
Brigadier General Anthony J. Tata (U.S. Army, Retired) has issued a preliminary statement on this breaking story.
His key points:
* Reaper Drone is one of the world’s most sophisticated unmanned aerial surveillance capabilities.
* It is imperative that we recover it, and not the Russians or other foreign actors.
* This drone most likely provided intelligence to NATO, which NATO could provide to Ukraine; it was most likely transiting the area or surveilling Russian naval activity.
* What is at stake is protecting the economic interests of the American people by reinforcing NATO and democratic countries therein.
* Lack of negotiation with Russia remains a breathtaking show of incompetence by this administration.
* We need to get back to the Normandy Format and bring Russia and Ukraine together to talk about a solution. We have to be able to have a discussion that finds a path toward peace
* The precedent for ceding ground to Russia was set by Obama/Biden with Crimea.
* For all who are all-in on World War 3, why do we have a recruiting shortage in our military if so many people are anxious to send their kids to war?
VT is currently following this story and seeking an interview with the Retired General. Stay tuned for more updates
About Brigadier General Anthony J. Tata (U.S. Army, Retired): Tata most recently performed the duties of Undersecretary of Defense for Policy, the #3 position in the United States Department of Defense, where he implemented the National Defense Strategy and worked closely with allies and partners to achieve strategic defense goals globally. His distinguished military career includes commands in the 82nd Airborne and 101st Airborne Divisions and the 10th Mountain Division as well as operations in Afghanistan, Bosnia, Croatia, North Macedonia, Kosovo, Panama, and Haiti. His military awards include the bronze star, combat action badge, ranger tab, master parachutist badge, and department of defense award for distinguished public service. In his civilian life, Mr. Tata leads his consulting firm, Tata Leadership Group, and is the managing partner of Boundary Channel Partners.
Mr. Tata is the national bestselling author of 15 military thriller novels, a Publishers Weekly Top 10 Mystery/Thriller of 2017, and a Barry Award finalist in 2016. His new book Total Empire