North Korea’s UN envoy says denuclearization off negotiating table with US
[ Editor’s Note: I was suspicious from the beginning that Trump was using North Korea to hustle more world stage media as the primary goal, and it appears I was right.
I cannot believe that anyone in the State Department or Pentagon ever thought that North Korea would completely give up its nuclear program and THEN begin talks on removing US sanctions. What leverage would NK have then? Zippo.
When there was no move to denuclearize in stages in a trust-building manner so both sides were comfortable they were not being hustled, it was a dead deal.
Actually the US could not be hustled in any way, as it always could re-institute sanctions for any breach of the agreement. With Trump in office, he has shown he will breach an agreement for any reason he chooses, and so far has gotten away with it.
North Korea finally gave up the ghost that they had been conned like so many before them, conned by the former TV host and real estate hustler, and the guy who hung out with Jeffrey Epstein a lot.
Trump always uses the foolproof cover for any failure, “Hey, I’m not really qualified to do this diplomatic stuff, so you get what you pay for” … Jim W. Dean ]
– First published … December 07, 2019 –
North Korea’s ambassador to the United Nations said on Saturday that denuclearization is off the negotiating table with the United States and lengthy talks with Washington are not needed.
Ambassador Kim Song’s comment appeared to go further than North Korea’s earlier warning that discussions related to its nuclear weapons program, the central focus of US engagement with North Korea in the past two years, might have to be taken off the table given Washington’s refusal to offer concessions.
Kim said in a statement that the “sustained and substantial dialogue” sought by the United States was a “time-saving trick” to suit its domestic political agenda, a reference to US President Donald Trump’s 2020 reelection bid.
“We do not need to have lengthy talks with the US now and denuclearization is already gone out of the negotiating table,” he said in the statement made available to Reuters.
Tensions have risen ahead of a year-end deadline set by North Korea, which has called on the United States to change its policy of demanding Pyongyang’s unilateral denuclearization and demanded relief from punishing sanctions.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un has warned he could take an unspecified “new path” next year, raising fears this could mean a return to the nuclear bomb and long-range missile testing suspended since 2017.
Trump and Kim Jong-Un have met three times since June 2018, but talks have made little progress and recent days have seen a return to the highly charged rhetoric that raised fears of war two years ago.
In 2017, the two leaders famously engaged in a war of words, with Trump calling Kim Jong-Un “Rocket Man” and North Korea slamming the US president, now 73, as a “dotard.”
On Tuesday, Trump once again called Kim “Rocket Man” and said the United States reserved the right to use military force against North Korea. Pyongyang said any repeat of such language would represent “the relapse of the dotage of a dotard.”
On Friday, Trump and South Korean President Moon Jae-in held a half-hour phone discussion on ways to maintain diplomacy with North Korea, South Korea said.
It said the two leaders agreed that the situation has become “severe” and that “dialogue momentum should be maintained to achieve prompt results from denuclearization negotiations.”