Boris Johnson is ‘breathing without assistance’ in intensive care and does not have pneumonia, Downing Street said today.
The PM’s spokesman said he was ‘stable overnight and remains in good spirits’, having received ‘standard oxygen treatment’. Mr Johnson has also not needed a mechanical ventilator despite mounting concerns over his health, according to Daily Mail.
He was moved to ICU at St Thomas’ Hospital in central London last night and given oxygen after his health deteriorated sharply over just two hours, leaving doctors fearing he will need a ventilator.
As it is known CoVid-19 has been redefined SARS-2 precisely because this term derives from the English acronym of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome. The virus from the bronchi enters the sterile alveoli of the lungs and gradually attempts to blocks its functioning.
This can lead to a decrease in blood oxygenation which in the most serious cases leads to death by asphyxiation or an aggravation of pre-existing pathologies, in particular those of the cardiovascular system, so as to make them fatal.
American pharmaceutical firms are meeting in London to discuss treatments for coronavirus-stricken British PM Boris Johnson, who was moved to Intensive Care Unit after his condition deteriorated over the weekend, the US president said, according to Russia Today.
Bojo is one of 135 hospitalized for the pandemic in the United Kingdom, where the virus has already infected more than 50,000 people and killed over 5,000. The British PM had first tested positive for swabs 11 days ago.
“We’re very saddened to hear that [Johnson] was taken into intensive care this afternoon. Americans are all praying for his recovery,” President Trump said at a press briefing on Monday, adding that several “genius” drug companies had “arrived in London already” to discuss therapeutics for the prime minister.
Trump noted that the companies were working on “rather complex” treatments which have had “incredible” results, though he did not get into specifics about which drugs were under consideration.
“It’s a very complex treatment of things that they’ve just recently developed,” Trump said, adding: “When you’re in intensive care, that’s a big deal,” and that “hopefully they won’t be needed.”
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved to intensive care in hospital after his coronavirus symptoms “worsened”, Downing Street has said.
A spokesman said he was moved on the advice of his medical team and is receiving “excellent care”.
Mr Johnson has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab to deputise “where necessary”, the spokesman added.
The prime minister, 55, was admitted to hospital in London with “persistent symptoms” on Sunday evening.
A No 10 statement read: “The prime minister has been under the care of doctors at St Thomas’ Hospital, in London, after being admitted with persistent symptoms of coronavirus.
“Over the course of [Monday] afternoon, the condition of the prime minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the intensive care unit at the hospital.”
It continued: “The PM is receiving excellent care, and thanks all NHS staff for their hard work and dedication.”
Chancellor Rishi Sunak said his thoughts were with the prime minister and his pregnant partner, Carrie Symonds, and that Mr Johnson would “come out of this even stronger”.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer described it as “terribly sad news”.
“All the country’s thoughts are with the prime minister and his family during this incredibly difficult time,” he added.
Mr Johnson was initially taken to hospital for routine tests after testing positive for coronavirus 10 days ago. His symptoms included a high temperature and a cough.
Earlier on Monday, he tweeted that he was in “good spirits”.
Last night, on the advice of my doctor, I went into hospital for some routine tests as I’m still experiencing coronavirus symptoms. I’m in good spirits and keeping in touch with my team, as we work together to fight this virus and keep everyone safe.
— Boris Johnson #StayHomeSaveLives (@BorisJohnson) April 6, 2020
“On the advice of his doctor, the Prime Minister has tonight been admitted to hospital for tests,” Downing Street said in a statement on Sunday evening. “This is a precautionary step,” the statement continued, “as the Prime Minister continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus ten days after testing positive for the virus.”
Johnson has worked from isolation since he was diagnosed with the illness, and described himself as “feeling better” on Thursday. The PM has communicated with the public by video clips filmed on his phone, and looked visibly ill throughout the week. At a press conference shortly before Johnson was admitted to hospital, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the British leader was “Okay.”
Another quick update from me on our campaign against #coronavirus.You are saving lives by staying at home, so I urge you to stick with it this weekend, even if we do have some fine weather.#StayHomeSaveLivespic.twitter.com/4GHmJhxXQ0
— Boris Johnson #StayHomeSaveLives (@BorisJohnson) April 3, 2020
Johnson is not the only high-ranking political figure in the UK to catch the coronavirus. Prince Charles was diagnosed with Covid-19 several days before Johnson, and emerged from self-isolation last week as his health improved. Hancock was also diagnosed with the illness, while Downing Street Advisor Dominic Cummings entered isolation late last month after developing symptoms.
Nearly 48,000 Brits have contracted the illness, while 621 new fatalities since Friday brought the country’s death toll to 5,903. The British government is preparing for a possible peak in casualties next weekend, and Queen Elizabeth II warned the public on Sunday that Britain “may have more still to endure.”
Fabio is Director and Editor of Gospa News; a Christian Information Journal.
Fabio Giuseppe Carlo Carisio, born on 24/2/1967 in Borgosesia, started working as a reporter when he was only 19 years old in the alpine area of Valsesia, Piedmont, his birth region in Italy. After studying literature and history at the Catholic University of the Sacred Heart in Milan, he became director of the local newspaper Notizia Oggi Vercelli and specialized in judicial reporting.
For about 15 years he is a correspondent from Northern Italy for the Italian newspapers Libero and Il Giornale, also writing important revelations on the Ustica massacre, a report on Freemasonry and organized crime.
With independent investigations, he collaborates with Carabinieri and Guardia di Finanza in important investigations that conclude with the arrest of Camorra entrepreneurs or corrupt politicians.
In July 2018 he found the counter-information web media Gospa News focused on geopolitics, terrorism, Middle East, and military intelligence.
His articles were published on many international media and website as SouthFront, Reseau International, Sputnik Italia, United Nation Association Westminster, Global Research, Kolozeg and more…
His investigations was quoted also by The Gateway Pundit, Tasnim and others
He worked for many years for the magazine Art & Wine as an art critic and curator.